Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Accessibility Information for Online Resources
This page provides information regarding the accessibility of NIC library resources, commonly used programs and web broswers, & additional NIC supports that are available. Please contact us for more information.
Our databases are equipped to support every learning style and ability level. Some of our most popular database providers are listed below:
Accessibility Features, Adobe Reader
Download eBook chapters or articles to PDF format to access the following tools:
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- Read Out Loud Text-to-Speech Tool
- Read Out Loud is a Text-to-Speech (TTS) tool that is built into Adobe Reader. It reads text contained within a document window. To use Read Out Loud, you need Adobe Reader and a Text-to-Speech engine installed on your system. To activate Read Out Loud:
- On the 'View' menu, choose 'Read Out Loud' > 'Activate Read Out Loud'
- Again go to 'View' > 'Read Out Loud' and then choose an appropriate option for reading ('Read This Page Only' OR 'Read To End of Document')
- Reflow text in a PDF
- Reflow text in a PDF to present it as a single column that is the width of the document pane. This will make it easier to read. To activate Reflow Text:
- On the 'View' menu, choose 'Zoom' > 'Reflow'
Accessible Learning, NIC
North Island College offers a variety of study options to support individuals with different learning requirements. Select one of the following links for more information:
Accessibility Features, Microsoft Word
Read Aloud: Listen to a Webpage
Listen to a web page using your web browser:
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Use the Windows 10 'Narrator' tool by pressing the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Enter
Library Contact & Hours | Privacy