- Begin each annotation with the item's reference entry
- Format the references the same way you would in a reference list
- Include a hanging indent for references longer than one line
- Place references in alphabetical order
- Each annotation should be a new paragraph below its reference entry
- Indent the entire annotation .5 inches from the left margin
- The annotated bibliography should be double-spaced
- Do not indent the first line of the annotation
- If the annotation spans more than one paragraph, indent the first line of the second and any subsequent paragraphs .5 inches
- Click here for more detailed formatting information
- Click here for more general information on annotated bibliographies
Note: Check with your instructor for their specific expectations, including the number of references required, the information focus, and the expected length of each annotation.
The information on this page can be found in the APA Manual, section 9.51, page 307.